Saturday 23 May 2015

Day 30 - Rocky

Well, it's officially been a month since the start of the challenge, and I have officially seen a total of 50 movies on the list ("only" 200 more to go!), 9 of which I've seen since the beginning of the challenge. I do need to get it into gear if I'm going to beat this challenge, but it's hard to be working and it's also hard because I have to find the movies on Netflix for now. This summer should be a bit easier when I'm in the States and have access to movie rental stores.

Anyway, Rocky. It was easy to see why this movie is a classic, and D and I were both SUPER excited to see it in the theater! The movie theater near our house shows a different classic movie every week, and this week was Rocky, so we went today to see it.

***** SPOILERS AHEAD *****

I definitely liked it, even though I knew how it ended. I recently had the revelation that boxing is my favorite sport. I'm not completely sure why, but I really love boxing. I think because it keeps me on the edge of the seat and cringing the whole time.

What I knew about Rocky going into it was that Sylvester Stallone wrote it about an actual boxer that actually did what Rocky does in the movie, so I knew that he lost in the end. I didn't know there was also a romance woven into it, so that was interesting. I think without the romance, it would have been kind of boring because it would have just been a boxer prepping for a fight, which isn't as interesting as an unlikely romance.

I guess there's not much else to say about it. It was easy to connect to the characters and see where they came from, so I guess I'll just quit while I'm ahead.

Anyway, here's the link to the video on Amazon:



And here's the whole series, if you're interested:


Random thought after watching this movie: There are a lot of people out there who have a lot of potential, but they don't want to put in the hard work that it takes to reach that potential, so they convince themselves that where they are in life is fine and that they're happy being there, but deep down they know that they could be so much more. Sometimes, they just need a big break and a chance to step up to the plate and be all that they can be. Other times, they may never get to where they could be because they turn down opportunities. I know there are definitely areas of my life where I have untapped potential, but I make excuses and don't put in the effort to reach that potential. Like with writing. I could be a published author by now if I could stick to one novel, but instead I settle for using my writing talents to write articles for other people to market their websites. But at the same time, writing articles has a definite paycheck whereas if I was able to finish a novel, there's no saying whether or not it's going to get published or make me any money or be read by anyone (other than a few family members and friends who would read it just because it's mine). Maybe someday I'll have the time and energy to devote to my own writing, but I guess for now I'll just keep on going with articles.

No comments:

Post a Comment